Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Save the world, use cork!




The cork lobby is at it again.

"The production of screwcaps gives off over 10kg of CO2 per tonne compared with 2.5kg of CO2 per tonne for corks...


Seeing as how the cork industry has an overwhelming market share lead to protect against alternative closures (which have grown from 2% market share ten years ago to nearly 20% today), push-back is expected. A few years ago it was "romance" now it is "eco-friendly".

Now, I agree that cork is a renewable resource in that the harvest does not damage the oak and that cork forests provide a unique ecosystem that may not be replicated if the oaks are replaced with faster growing trees such as pines. I also get that an oak tree sequesters carbon dioxide over its long life time in order to produce the cork -- all good by me. However until cork taint (2,4,6-Trichloroanisole or "TCA") is virtually eliminated (I am talking less than 99%) - I am going to be looking to lower my carbon footprint elsewhere in my life.

I'm certainly not going to add to my carbon footprint by taking a tainted bottle back to the store!!

No comments: